Severe cyclonic storm Tauktae intensified in a single day into “very severe cyclonic storm” over eastcentral Arabian Sea, the climate workplace mentioned. 100 rescue groups are deployed for six states – Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Goa.
Here is your ten-point cheat sheet on this huge story:
- Tauktae is “very likely to intensify further” through the subsequent 12 hours, the India Meteorological Department mentioned, including it might cross Gujarat coast between Porbandar and Mahuva in Bhavnagar district on Tuesday morning. Tauktae is the primary cyclone this yr as India battles an unprecedented surge in Covid infections as a result of second wave.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a overview assembly on Saturday night and advised officers to make sure persons are safely evacuated. Special preparedness is required for Covid administration in hospitals, vaccine chilly chain and energy again up and storage of important medicines in weak places as a consequence of cyclone, the Prime Minister mentioned.
- Kerala noticed heavy rain and water-logging in lots of components. Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan in a tweet final evening mentioned that the impact of the cyclone will probably be felt within the state for one more 24 hours. “Kerala currently has 71 camps, 543 families, 2094 people. Those being directed to move to camps should do so without fail. #COVID19 safe camps are being set up, through @KeralaSDMA. Carry Emergency Kits – Masks, Sanitiser, Medicines, Prescriptions, Certificates & Imp. Docs (sic),” he wrote in one other tweet.
- Mumbai can count on heavy showers from Sunday afternoon with excessive wind pace, officers mentioned. The metropolis’s civic physique on Saturday determined to shift 580 Covid sufferers from three jumbo centres as a precautionary measure.
- Navy and Air Force and likewise serving to with aid operations. Visuals confirmed naval groups serving to locals in Kerala. The Indian Air Force deployed two C-130 J plane and airlifted three groups of the National Disaster Response Force from Bhubaneswar to Jamnagar.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani additionally held a gathering final night to overview preparedness. “CM Shri @vijayrupanibjp held a review meeting with senior officials on the preparedness of state administration in view of #CycloneTauktae forecast and instructed officials to make all possible arrangements with ‘Zero Casualty’ approach in the wake of prevailing Corona situation (sic),” his workplace tweeted.
- Fishermen have been requested to keep away from heading to Arabian Sea until Tuesday, tourism actions have been restricted and crucial precautions have been suggested for naval operations. the National Disaster Management Authority has additionally put out an inventory of do’s and dont’s.
- Goa has activated life-saving equipment on seashores. In a video message posted on twitter, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant mentioned, “In view of Cyclone Tauktae, the State has activated its lifesaving machinery on beaches. NDRF team comprising 22 personnel carrying life saving equipment has already arrived. Also, control rooms have been set up at District and Taluka level.”
- In its newest bulletin, the climate workplace mentioned mentioned that wind speeds reaching 60-70 kmph gusting to 80 kmph alongside and off Maharashtra Goa coasts are anticipated in the present day and tomorrow.
- “Tidal wave of about 2-3 metres above astronomical tide is likely to inundate coastal areas of Morbi, Kutch, Devbhoomi Dwarka and Jamnagar district, and 1-2 metres along Porbandar, Junagadh, Gir Somnath, Amreli, Bhavnagar, and 0.5-1 metre over the remaining coastal districts of Gujarat,” an advisory mentioned.